The Bedford Humane Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1994 and dedicated to eliminating the overpopulation of cats and dogs in Bedford County through education, spay/neuter programs, and companion animal adoptions. Our adoptable pets live in volunteer foster homes where they receive the care and attention they deserve while awaiting a permanent home.
Our various programs for Bedford County and City of Bedford residents include:
- A low cost spay/neuter program for area pets
- The construction of a no kill animal shelter, The Vernon D Lybolt Adoption Center, at 829 Ole Turnpike Road in Bedford.
- Find homes for abandoned and homeless animals through our adoption and transport programs.
- Help pet owners with unexpected expenses involving their pets, through our Emergency Fund program.
- Provide humane traps and spay/neuter subsidies for feral cats through our Forgotten Felines program.
- Humane Education program for area Scout troops and schools.
We do not have a freestanding shelter at this time. However, we do have an engineered preliminary site plan and are in the process of interviewing architects for the design of a 6000 square foot adoption center which will be built upon the 3.4 acre parcel we purchased in June 2009.